can have a web page. So some information on the Web is biased,
just plain wrong. You will need to evaluate web sites for accuracy,
authority, currency, objectivity, and purpose. Here is a checklist you
- Does the author cite reliable sources
for his or her facts?
- How does the information compare with
that in other works written about this topic?
- Who do you think the author/s of the
web site are trying to reach?
- Is there a particular group or segment
of society that the author/s are targeting?
- What are the author's qualifications
for writing on this subject?
- Is he or she connected with an
organization that has an established reputation?
- Does the web site include a
publication date or "last updated" date?
- Is the author affiliated with a
particular organization that might have a bias?
- Is the author's purpose to inform,
e.g. provide new information, current events, etc?
- Is the author's purpose to explain,
e.g. describe a process, teach, etc?
- Is the author's purpose to persuade,
e.g. change your mind, convince you to buy, etc?