Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About the Office for Service Learning & Community Engagement
Welcome to the Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement (SLCE). This website offers information and resources for faculty, staff, students and community. It will serve as a base for connecting and working with individuals and groups seeking ideas, strategies, and support for academic service learning courses and short or long term commitments for community engagement projects. This office embraces the high impact educational practice of service learning and community -based learning. We believe that students should have the opportunity to apply what they are learning and to reflect on their service experiences. We acknowledge that giving back to the community and working with community partner prepares our students to be involved active citizens.
The Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement supports and develops students' lifelong civic engagement by championing service learning courses, activities, and partnerships between Indiana University Southeast its communities both regionally and beyond.
Purposes of the Office of Service Learning and Community Engagement
The office provides consultation and support to help faculty, staff, students, and community partners:
- Identify community needs that can be addressed through service-learning.
- Support the integration of service-learning across the curriculum.
- Build long-term relationships between the university and community.
- Offer faculty and staff development opportunities related to service-learning and community engagement.
- Recognize and reward significant service-learning and community engagement work.
- Identify, help develop, and promote service-learning courses.
- Encourage student participation and helping coordinate the assessment of student learning.
In congruence with IUS’s mission statement and the strategic plan, service learning and community engagement includes both academic and co-curricular service-learning projects. Please contact us at email@example.com or call 812-941-2286.