Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Specific Resources to Use for your FYS Assignment
Academic Search Complete This link opens in a new window
There are many databases that can help you find articles from journals, but this database may be a good one to start with. Academic Search Premier connects you to articles in scholarly journals, as well as popular magazines and newspapers.
Historical New York Times with Index
Access to the full-text of the New York Times from 1851-2013, including all advertisements, images, photographs, and supplements.
Searchable full-text backfiles of 117 scholarly journals in the fields of African-American Studies, Anthropology, Asian Studies, Ecology, Economics, Education, Finance, History, Literature, Mathematics, Philosophy, Political Science, etc.
Click on "News & Newspapers" to search historical newspapers.
For this activity, you will conduct a search in one of the search tools linked in the box on the left. I will assign you which search tool to use. Follow the steps below to complete this activity. Be prepared to share your knowledge and searching skills with the class! You should take notes on a piece of paper or in a Word document, but these notes will be to guide our discussion--this is not for a grade or to turn in.
- Conduct a search for Eleanor Roosevelt and browse your results.
- What kinds of sources did you find in this search tool? You might find scholarly articles, magazine articles, encyclopedia articles, and more. If you aren't sure, do your best to explain.
- Were these sources credible? How can you tell?
- What is the purpose of these sources? How can you tell?
- What advice would you give to your classmate regarding how to use this specific search tool?