Downloading eBooks to Android & Apple Devices
(Google Nexus tablets, Android phones & tablets, iPhones, iPads, etc.)
On device: Bluefire Reader (or another app that provides support for eBooks protected by Adobe® Content Server. The Bluefire Reader is a free app available through Google Play/App Store. See below for instructions on downloading and authorizing the Bluefire Reader app).
As of August 2015, EBSCO now has its own eBooks app - instructions for downloading eBooks using this app is available here: https://www.ebscohost.com/ebooks/user-experience/downloading-ebooks. (You can also still use the Bluefire Reader to access and read EBSCO eBooks).
Step 1: Downloading the free Bluefire Reader app:
1. Download and install the Bluefire Reader app.
2. Open Bluefire Reader.
3. When prompted, enter the email address and password used to create your Adobe account and select Sign In. (See Getting Started for instructions on creating a free Adobe account.)
Step 2: On your device, find the eBook in either EBSCOhost or ebrary:
1. Sign into your EBSCOhost or ebrary account. (See Getting Started for instructions on creating these free accounts.)
2. Enter your search terms, or find the eBook you want to download.
3. Follow instructions based on whether you are downloading from ebrary or EBSCOhost below.
Step 3a: Downloading ebrary eBooks onto your device:
1. Tap on the Download link displayed above the book you want to check out. (Please note that a small percentage of the titles available in ebrary are not available for download.)
2. You can choose to download a section of the book or a specified page range, up to 36 pages (in PDF format). To download the entire book, choose the third option Download the entire document for 14 days in Adobe Digital Editions format.
3. Tap OK.
4. A new screen will pop up with the Bluefire Reader logo. Tap the Open in "Bluefire" button. This will automatically begin downloading the eBook into the Bluefire Reader app. This may take a few minutes.
Step 3b: Downloading EBSCOhost eBooks onto your device:
1. Tap on the Download This eBook (Offline) link displayed on the left side of the book you want to check out. (Please note that a small percentage of the titles available in EBSCOhost are not available for download.)
2. eBooks can be borrowed for up to 7 days; if you would prefer a shorter check out period, you can change this by using the Checkout Period (in days) field. Note: Deleting an eBook from your device will not check the book back in for use by others, so be considerate when choosing your checkout time.
3. Tap the yellow button labeled Checkout & Download from the pop-up box.
4. Tap OK.
5. A new screen will pop up with the Bluefire Reader logo. Tap the Open in "Bluefire" button. This will automatically begin downloading the eBook into the Bluefire Reader app. This may take a few minutes.
Note: After your eBook checkout expires, the eBook file is still be on your device but cannot be opened. You must remove the file manually by opening Bluefire and selecting to remove it from your library.
The Downloading eBooks LibGuide by Kate Moore is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0).